As many of you may know, I am an avid reader so when I come across life changing books I want to share it with others. Recently I found a book on my bookshelf entitled 'The Seat of The Soul' by Gary Z. It was almost as if this book magically appeared. I do not recall purchasing the book...perhaps I inherited it from my Grandmother's book stash, and when I say inherited it... I really mean borrowed it indefinitely. 😉 Sorry Grands!
Here are my top 5 books that have changed my outlook on life and I'm sure that they will have an everlasting impact on yours.
1. 'The Road Less Traveled' by M. Scott Peck, M.D. is a book that bridges the gap between human psychology and spirituality. It examines human psychology from a holistic standpoint and does not omit human spirituality. My favorite quote from this book is from the chapter entitled 'Love is Disciplined'
"I have indicated that the energy for the work of self-discipline derives from love, which is a form of will. It follows then, not only that self-discipline is usually love, translated into action, but also that any genuine lover behaves with self discipline and any genuinely loving relationship is a disciplined relationship."
2. 'Think & Grow Rich: A Black Choice' by Dennis Kimbro and Napoleon Hill is a powerful read. Not only did I have the privilege to take Dr. Kimbro's courses while matriculating through college, shout-out to Clark Atlanta University but I've also had the honor of owning this book. This book is a gem and is a must read for anybody seeking to break the generational curse of lack or poverty.
3. 'The Seven Spiritual Laws to Success' by Deepak Chopra is a quick and easy read, however it is powerful. The laws outline in this book are simple, however they require a level of discipline if mastered by the reader, that will be life changing. My favorite law outline in the book is The Law of Giving and you will have to read the book for yourself to know why! Don't sleep on this short but powerful read.
4. 'The Four Agreements' by Don Miguel Ruiz was gifted to me by a co-worker when I was 5 months pregnant with my second child. My second pregnancy was rough, not physically but spiritually and emotionally rough. I had just turned 30 and having another child was the furthest thing from my mind..... but there I was pregnant, alone and soooo over it. (but that is a story for another day). This book outlines 4 agreements that we should adhere to make this journey called life easier... The point is, this book was gifted to me at a very critical time in my life, I needed to read the gems shared in this book. My favorite agreement from this book is "Don't take anything personally". I wanted to hate the man I felt left me pregnant and alone, but I learned quickly to NOT take anything personal at all, people battle unimaginable demons that I won't no part of.... however, this is a skill that I am still mastering not taking anything personal.
5. 'The Seat of the Soul' by Gary Zukav is book like no other, I may by hyping it or I may not, read for yourself and judge. I'm telling you, this book came at the perfect time in my life and allowed me to see and understand the bigger picture... we are all souls on our own individual journeys... respect and trust the process.